Let's talk transition
Transition is a major event that happens in every farmer's life - and the journey isn't always easy. There's a lot to figure out and it can bring up many emotionally-charged issues. But wherever you are in the farm transfer process, we have resources to help you.
What stage are you at?
Start the conversation
Often, this can be the biggest hurdle when considering farm transition. Here are resources to help you break the ice.
Prepare for farm transition
There are a lot of moving pieces in farm transition. Have you considered all options? Here are resources to help keep everyone on the same page.
- Farm transition plans get complicated in a blended family
- Succession planning? Use these tools to assess business value
- 10 steps to a solid business plan
- Consider long-term impacts of taking your farm corporate
- Are you financially ready for farm transition?
- Dying without a will has big ramifications
Transfer the farm
The wheels of transition are in motion - and there's a lot to consider. Here are resources to help you consider all angles.
- How written agreements can save farm families
- Choosing the right successor in a farm transition
- Tips for transitioning your farm to staff
- How rising asset values change farm transfer discussions
- Family farm transition – is fair always equal?
- Helping the next generation afford the farm
- 6 ways to make your farm skill transfer easier
Plan your retirement
You're ready for the next chapter. Do you want to kick back and relax or take on a new challenge? Here are resources to help you plan for the future.
Focus on farm transition
Ag Transition Specialist Patti Durand offers strategies and advice to help you navigate the key challenges and questions that arise during the farm transition journey.
Looking for a few good examples of transition in action? Read these fictional case studies created from BDO Canada that illustrate real-world scenarios that can happen during the process.