Personal Information is any information about you as an identifiable individual and includes but is not limited to your name, home address and home phone number, details relating to financial transactions, any identifying numbers (such as your customer number or Social Insurance Number), your race, national or ethnic origin, colour, age or marital status, your medical or criminal history, and your personal opinions.
Your Privacy Rights
- FCC’s Chief Privacy Officer and our Privacy, Access to Information Officer champion FCC’s compliance with the and our privacy policies, as they relate to personal information under FCC’s control.
- Anyone who provides personal information to FCC will be informed of the purpose for which their personal information is being collected, at or before the time the personal information is collected.
- An individual’s knowledge and consent are required at or before FCC’s collection, use, or disclosure of personal information, except where inappropriate.
- FCC only collects the personal information we need to administer our programs and services and personal information is collected by fair and lawful means.
- FCC will not use or disclose personal information for a purpose other than that for which it was collected, except with your consent or as required by law. FCC will retain personal information only as long as necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected.
- FCC will take all reasonable steps to keep your personal information accurate and complete.
- FCC will take all reasonable steps to protect personal information with security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- Information about FCC’s policies and practices relating to our management of your personal information are available upon request, from FCC’s Privacy, Access to Information Officer (see contact information below).
- FCC respects an individual’s right of access to his or her personal information and will inform an individual of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information, upon request. FCC will take all reasonable steps to respond to an individual’s concerns about the accuracy and completeness of their personal information and amend it where appropriate.
- FCC is accountable for its compliance with the and this policy. An individual may contact FCC with concerns about our protection of personal information by contacting:
Privacy, Access to Information Officer
Farm Credit Canada
1800 Hamilton Street, Box 4320
Regina, SK S4P 4L3
If an individual is not satisfied with FCC’s response to a privacy concern, that individual may contact the .
Information we may collect from you
The type and extent of personal information we may need to collect from you depends on the products and services you wish to use. It is our policy to collect only the personal information needed to administer our programs and services and to explain the type of information we will collect and the purposes for which it will be used.
It is your choice to provide personal information to us. For financial and insurance products and services, your decision to withhold some types or personal information or your withdrawal of consent for us to use certain personal information may prevent us from providing the products or services you have requested.
Information to identify you and prevent fraud
Your name, telephone number, personal address, date of birth, gender, username and password helps us to identify and contact you, and to prevent impersonation.
When you visit an FCC website and take advantage of our online services, your activities are electronically logged. FCC uses software to monitor website traffic and to detect unauthorized attempts to upload, change information, or otherwise cause damage. We receive and record the Internet Protocol (IP) addresses of computers that have visited our website including the date and time of visits, the pages that were viewed and downloaded, and the identifier attributed to any registered user who accesses restricted areas on this site. The software also captures information regarding the type of browser and operating system. FCC does not attempt to link the IP addresses and the identifiers with the identity of users visiting this site unless there is an attempt to damage the site.
Your activities on FCC mobile apps are electronically logged by FCC for the same authentication and security (fraud prevention) purposes. FCC will only attempt to link this information with user identities if there is an attempt to hack or otherwise damage an FCC mobile app.
Information to determine appropriate products and services
When required, we use financial information such as your assets, liabilities, financial transactions, income, education, and business history to evaluate your credit worthiness, assess your eligibility, and make decisions about your loan application or credit facility.
Information to offer products and services that meet your needs
Our goal is to provide products and services that meet your individual needs. Information about you, your farm or agribusiness history and goals projects, and your financial history helps provide specialized and personalized business and financial services and products that respond to your needs.
When you complete any online subscription or registration form on our website or mobile apps or tell us that you wish to add your name to any contact or mailing list, we will collect information such as your name and name of your company (if applicable), your address, telephone and fax numbers, and your language of preference. We will use this information and your e-mail or regular mailing address to send you information from time to time on FCC’s products or services, or provide information on agricultural and business topics and events that may be of interest to you.
Further, FCC has structured its practices to comply with the consent and unsubscribing requirements under Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL). Where consent is required by CASL, FCC will ensure that you have expressly opted-in or that we have your implied consent (as defined under CASL) to receive FCC communications before they are sent to you. Further, FCC ensures that all communications include a clear means to opt-out of receiving any further FCC business and/or marketing messages as required under CASL.
Information to make it easy and convenient to do business with us
Your identifying information allows us to communicate with you and respond adequately and promptly to your enquiries about loan applications, your credit facilities, and any other products or services you have with us or may be interested in. The personal information we collect helps us better deliver and respond to your information needs.
Information to administer our corporate giving
FCC community investment funding supports the communities where our customers and employees live and work. To select and contract funding recipients, we may require personal and financial Information such as identifying information, financial statements, business plans, and information about your community involvement.
Information to continually improve our services
In the interest of continually improving our service to you, we collect non-personal aggregate information from surveys and publicly accessible sources. This information helps us understand the needs of our customers and manage our risks.
Your Privacy and the Internet
The information in this privacy statement summarizes our online privacy practices for all FCC internet sites. FCC is committed to providing websites that respect the privacy of visitors.
The nature of the Internet is such that Web servers automatically collect certain information about a visit to a website, including the visitor’s Internet Protocol (IP) address. IP addresses are unique numbers assigned by Internet Service Providers (ISP) to all devices used to access the Internet. Web servers automatically log the IP addresses of visitors to their sites. The IP address, on its own, does not identify an individual. However, in certain circumstances, such as with the co-operation of an ISP for example, it could be used to identify an individual using the site.
Unless otherwise noted, FCC does not automatically gather any specific information from you, such as your name, telephone number or email address. FCC would obtain this type of information only if you supply it to us, for example, by email or by filling in a contact form. In such cases, how your personal information is handled will be provided in a Personal Information Collection Statement.
In cases where services are provided by organizations outside of FCC, such as social media platforms or mobile applications, IP addresses may be recorded by the Web server of the third-party service provider.
FCC Mobile Apps
FCC has also designed its mobile apps to respect the privacy of users. Unless otherwise noted, FCC does not automatically gather any specific identifiable information from you with respect to your use of FCC mobile apps.
When using certain FCC mobile apps, including but not limited to, for example, “FM Pro Mobile” or “AgExpert Mobile”, FCC may have to access and/or collect certain types of specific identifiable information to allow you to use the FCC mobile app, such as your:
- Device information: When using an FCC mobile app certain device-specific information such as language, wireless network, and mobile network information may need to be accessed, with your consent, which will have been obtained when you download an FCC mobile app;
- Camera and photos: When using an FCC mobile app access to your mobile device’s camera and photos may be required, with your consent, which will have been obtained when you download an FCC mobile app. For example, you won’t be able to upload pictures of your receipts unless the FCC mobile app can access your mobile device’s camera and photos;
- Content information: When using an FCC mobile app, with your consent, which will have been obtained when you download an FCC mobile app, FCC may need to access your mobile device’s storage in order to edit, process, and/or delete any information you will have entered into an FCC mobile app;
- Location information: FCC may need to access and collect information about both your approximate and specific location, using methods such as GPS, wireless networks, cell towers, WI-FI access points, and/or other mobile device sensors, with your consent, which will have been obtained when you download an FCC mobile app. For example, you won’t be able to see your storage locations and your fields unless the FCC mobile app can access your mobile device’s camera and photos.
Communicating with FCC
If you choose to send us an email or complete a feedback form online or, where applicable, through FCC mobile apps, we will use your personal information to respond to your inquiry. The information you provide will only be shared with a third-party outside FCC if your inquiry relates to that third-party and if we have your consent to share the information. FCC does not use the information you provide to create individual profiles nor do we disclose your information to anyone other than to those in FCC who need to provide you with a response. Any disclosure of your personal information is in accordance with the
Emails and other electronic methods used to communicate with the FCC are not secure unless it is specifically stated on a Web page. Therefore, it is recommended that you do not send sensitive personal information, such as your Social Insurance Number, or your date of birth, through non-secure electronic means.
Third-Party Social Media
FCC’s use of social media serves as an extension of our presence on the Web and through FCC mobile apps. Social media account(s) are public and are not hosted on FCC servers. Users who choose to interact with us via social media should read the terms of service and privacy policies of these third-party service providers and those of any applications you use to access them. FCC uses: , , and .
Personal information that you provide to social media account(s) is collected under the authority of the . This information is collected to capture conversations (e.g. questions and answers, comments, “likes”, retweets) between you and FCC. It may be used to respond to inquiries, or for statistical, evaluation and reporting purposes. Comments posted that violate Canadian law will be deleted and disclosed to law enforcement authorities. Comments that violate our rules of engagement will also be deleted.
Improving your Experience on our Websites and in our Mobile Apps
Digital Markers (including cookies)
A digital marker is a resource created by the visitors’ browser in order to remember certain pieces of information for the Web server to reference during the same or subsequent visit to the website. Examples of digital markers are “cookies” or HTML5 web storage. Some examples of what digital markers do are as follows:
- they allow a website to recognize a previous visit each time the visitor accesses the site;
- they track what information is viewed on a site which helps website administrators ensure visitors find what they are looking for.
FCC uses both session and persistent digital markers (“cookies”) on some portions of our website and mobile app.
- A session cookie is a small text file placed on your browser by a web server. It acts as an identification card because it’s unique to you, but can only be read by the server that gave it to you. FCC secure online applications use session cookies to make your online visits easier and improve site navigation by maintaining information from page to page within these applications. Session cookies are deleted from your computer’s hard drive once you close down your web browsing software.
- A persistent cookie is more permanent and can be re-read when you return to the site that placed it on your computer. It acts as your identification card and can only be read by the server that gave it to you. At FCC, we use persistent cookies to help us remember which official language you prefer and to find out how visitors access, navigate, and use our website.
You may adjust your browser settings to reject digital markers, including cookies, if you so choose. To do this, go to the “Help” files on your browser. If you disable cookies you will still be able to access our website - however, it may affect your ability to interact with some portions of our website, including secure services.
Web analytics is the collection, analysis, measurement, and reporting of data about Web traffic and visits for purposes of understanding and optimizing Web usage. Information in digital markers may be used for the purpose of web analytics to remember your online interactions with FCC’s website.
FCC uses Mix Panel, Google Analytics and Adobe Analytics to improve our web site. When your computer requests an FCC Web page, we collect the following types of information for Web analytics:
- the originating IP address
- the date and time of the request
- the type of browser used
- the page(s) visited
FCC uses Mix Panel, Google Analytics and Adobe Analytics and the information collected is disclosed to Google and external third party service providers. Your IP address is anonymized prior to being stored on a service provider's servers in order to help safeguard your privacy. The information collected is de-personalized, as activated by the anonymization features in Mix Panel, Google Analytics and Adobe Analytics.
Information used for the purpose of Web analytics is collected pursuant to the Farm Credit Canada Act. Such data may be used for communications and information technology statistical purposes, audit, evaluation, research, planning and reporting. For more information on how your privacy is safeguarded in relation to web analytics, see the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat’s .
Mobile Device Analytics
FCC may also use analytics for the purposes of understanding and optimizing FCC mobile app usage as well as, when applicable, access to/usage of FCC Online Services through a mobile device. FCC may collect the following types of information for analytics purposes:
- type of mobile device used to access an FCC mobile app or Online Services;
- the geo-location of the mobile device (if enabled on your device);
- the mobile network used to access an FCC mobile app or Online Services;
- the date and time of the access;
- the Web pages and/or mobile app content visited and digital experience(s) accessed (as applicable).
FCC may use this information to facilitate the operation of any FCC mobile apps and Online Services, to provide or enhance the products or services available through an FCC mobile app and/or Online Services, to improve the overall functionality of an FCC mobile app, and for internal analytics and reporting.
Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable location services. If you have any questions about how to disable your device's location services, we recommend that you contact your mobile service provider.
Protecting the Security of our Websites and Mobile App/System Monitoring
FCC employs software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. This software receives and records the IP address of the computer that has contacted our website, the date and time of the visit and the pages visited. FCC employs similar measures with respect to identifying unauthorized use of or damage to an FCC mobile app. We make no attempt to link this usage information with the identity of individuals visiting our site or accessing an FCC mobile app unless an attempt to damage the site or mobile app has been detected.
This information is collected pursuant to . The information may be shared with appropriate law enforcement authorities if suspected criminal activities are detected. Such information may be used for network security related statistical purposes, audit, evaluation, research, planning and reporting.
Any questions, comments, concerns or complaints you may have regarding the administration of the Privacy Act and privacy policies regarding Web presence may be directed to our Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator by email, by calling our Privacy, Access to Information and Government Relations Officer at 306-780-8668 or writing to:
Privacy, Access to Information Officer
Farm Credit Canada
1800 Hamilton Street, Box 4320
Regina, SK S4P 4L3
Last reviewed: March 1, 2017