Behind the numbers: 2018 FCC Farmland Values Report
Farmland values continued to rise in 2018, but that’s not the whole story. J.P. Gervais compares the national and provincial increases and the factors that influenced them.
- The 2018 national average farmland value increased by 6.6%
- The average farmland value continued its steady climb driven by fewer but more strategic investments by producers
- Quebec had the most significant increase, Nova Scotia only province decreased
- With steady climb, now is a good time for producers to review and adjust their business plans
- Farm operations need to exercise caution, especially in regions where the growth rate of farmland values exceeded that of farm income in recent years