What to expect when you call a mental health help line
Provided by John McFadyen - Mobile Crisis Services Inc.
- Crisis workers will listen to you talk about what is worrying you
- They may ask you to provide information about your current situation, past situations, your current and past supports (family, friends and professionals)
- They will help you tell your story
- They will keep all aspects of your conversation confidential
- They will help you prioritize the issues you have identified, not judge you for what you’re going through
- They will assess what has worked well and what hasn’t
- They will help you determine what needs to be addressed and what can wait
- They will help you determine what you have control over and those issues you have no control over
- They will problem solve with you and identify alternatives
The hardest part is that decision to pick up the phone and call.