Firing an employee is never easy, but this Management Moment can help you create a smooth termination process and protect you as an employer.
- Developing a human resources plan for our business is critical to its success.
- Provide a clear, written description of an employee's job, including your expectations of them.
- Never fire an employee in the heat of the moment - provide written warnings and both ongoing feedback and coaching. Document any performance issues.
- Be clear about the reasons for termination and provide all owing compensation to the employee upon termination.
- Stay calm and avoid heated discussions.
- Consult a lawyer with HR expertise to develop your hiring and firing processes