FCC Senior Agricultural Economist Craig Klemmer on the Brexit “Leave” vote and its short and long-term consequences for the global economy, Canadian economy and agriculture.
- Short-term impact on Canada through currency markets
- 2014 CETA signed by Canada and EU not yet ratified
- EU market important to Canada; UK largest importer of Canadian goods
- Despite speculation, little is known about Brexit and impact on EU and Britain
- Opportunities for Canada depend on how Britain structures trade in the long run